A pressure cooker is a very useful kitchen appliance which makes cooking faster and simpler. Along with saving time and energy while cooking, it also saves the natural tastes, color and nutrients of the ingredients. Such a useful piece of appliance requires special care and cleaning to increase its effectiveness and life. Here are some tips to remember while cleaning your pressure cooker:
- After you have used your cooker, fill it with warm water along with some washing liquid and allow it to stand for an hour or two. This will allow food to soften to make cleaning easier. Do not leave it this way for too long because decomposing of food can cause indentations in the metal. After this, wash it with warm water using a sponge and some dishwashing liquid or soap. Dry it completely before storing it to avoid any bacterial growth.
- Not all pressure cookers are dishwasher safe. Hawkins pressure cooker for example may be washed in a dishwasher but they may lose color. Read the instruction manual of your rice cooker to find out if it is dishwasher safe or not or read rice cooker buyer’s guide & many more to get all information.
- Remove the gasket or the ring before washing the lid. Wash the ring separately and be careful not to stretch it as it may lose its shape. Check the condition of the gasket regularly; if it no longer seals or is cracked or broken you will need to replace it.
- Clean the steam vent with special care. After rinsing it thoroughly with water, check to see if there is any blockage by food stuck in the vent. If so, use a wire or a needle to clear the passage. Food stuck in the vent can make future use of pressure cooker very dangerous. Clean it with hot water if required.
- To clean a burnt pressure cooker, fill it to half its capacity with water and add to it 2 to 3 layers of an onion. Place it on the stove and cover it with the lid. Do not lock the lid; we do not want pressure to build up. Allow water to boil for about 30 minutes before removing it from the stove. Leave if for a while for water to cool down a little. Now wash it the normal way with water, dishwashing liquid and sponge.
- To clean an aluminum pressure cooker, soak it for a couple of hours in water and vinegar before washing it. This process will make it easier to remove stains. Excessive use of vinegar however can damage the metal. Therefore, make sure that you only add it in small quantities and rinse the cooker well, to remove all traces of vinegar.
Following these tips and those mentioned in the instruction manual, you will be able to keep your pressure cooker clean and its performance up to standard for many years. Proper maintenance is the key to increasing the life of any appliance.