This is fact that kids these days usually do not eat vegetables easily and a battle takes place between parents and kids when veggies are served on the dining table. Some kids do not eat veggies at all while some are picky eaters when it comes to veggies. Here are some tips for getting kids to eat veggies:
1: Hide them!
There are cooking books available in the market which would help you out in veggie cooking. Select some veggie dishes from these books and kids would love to have it. If kids only want to eat macaroni and cheese then make it at home and mix some mashed finely chopped vegetables such as butternut squash. This would be even healthier and substitute for whole grain pasta. You can change Mac n’ cheese recipe and may include skim milk and low-fat cheese or cheddar cheese. This would help you in managing kids who do not have milk and through this you would serve them calcium, equal to a cup of milk.
2: Try Veggie Drinks
You can try on different veggie drink recipes so that you can settle on the right taste. Encourage their participation in making the drink and let them have some fun name for that drink. You can even add spinach, kale, beets, carrots, and any other vegetable that you think would be appropriate. You can even mix the veggies with some fruits to enhance the taste of the drink. All you have to do is chop them and add in the blender and blend to reach the desired consistency. If you don’t have a blender and are looking for one, read the best blender reviews here.
3: Encourage their Help
While making dinners and meals, encourage your kids to assist you in the kitchen. Kids could help in shredding the vegetables, adding ingredients, and working with the blender or other appliance for making food. A best option is to make pancakes with them and add fruits and vegetables to your pancake batter and blend it. This would be a lot of fun for the kids and they would be excited to eat the food as well.
A pressure cooker is a very useful kitchen appliance which makes cooking faster and simpler. Along with saving time and energy while cooking, it also saves the natural tastes, color and nutrients of the ingredients. Such a useful piece of appliance requires special care and cleaning to increase its effectiveness and life. Here are some tips to remember while cleaning your pressure cooker:
- After you have used your cooker, fill it with warm water along with some washing liquid and allow it to stand for an hour or two. This will allow food to soften to make cleaning easier. Do not leave it this way for too long because decomposing of food can cause indentations in the metal. After this, wash it with warm water using a sponge and some dishwashing liquid or soap. Dry it completely before storing it to avoid any bacterial growth.
- Not all pressure cookers are dishwasher safe. Hawkins pressure cooker for example may be washed in a dishwasher but they may lose color. Read the instruction manual of your rice cooker to find out if it is dishwasher safe or not or read rice cooker buyer’s guide & many more to get all information.
- Remove the gasket or the ring before washing the lid. Wash the ring separately and be careful not to stretch it as it may lose its shape. Check the condition of the gasket regularly; if it no longer seals or is cracked or broken you will need to replace it.
- Clean the steam vent with special care. After rinsing it thoroughly with water, check to see if there is any blockage by food stuck in the vent. If so, use a wire or a needle to clear the passage. Food stuck in the vent can make future use of pressure cooker very dangerous. Clean it with hot water if required.
- To clean a burnt pressure cooker, fill it to half its capacity with water and add to it 2 to 3 layers of an onion. Place it on the stove and cover it with the lid. Do not lock the lid; we do not want pressure to build up. Allow water to boil for about 30 minutes before removing it from the stove. Leave if for a while for water to cool down a little. Now wash it the normal way with water, dishwashing liquid and sponge.
- To clean an aluminum pressure cooker, soak it for a couple of hours in water and vinegar before washing it. This process will make it easier to remove stains. Excessive use of vinegar however can damage the metal. Therefore, make sure that you only add it in small quantities and rinse the cooker well, to remove all traces of vinegar.
Following these tips and those mentioned in the instruction manual, you will be able to keep your pressure cooker clean and its performance up to standard for many years. Proper maintenance is the key to increasing the life of any appliance.